Air Fryer Chicken Wings will be a great addition to your round up of foods to bring to parties, events or snack on at home. They are easy to make and a healthier alternative to frying them but you do not lose any of the amazing flavors. The wonderful part of cooking these wings in the air fryer is how the exterior comes out with a touch of crispiness while the insides are moist and flavorful.
Easy to make in just under 30 minutes so you can have them any time the urge strikes!
This air fryer recipe was created with those on Weight Watchers in mind so we have added Smart Point estimates as well so you can be sure you are staying in line with your weight loss goals.
With a yummy buffalo inspired sauce – we are pretty sure you are going to fall in love at first bite.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings That Are Good For You!
The great thing about an air fryer is that it saves on calories because you aren’t soaking the food in the fat that you do when you deep fry like traditional wings are made. You do not need to add what would normally go into creating chicken wings like baking powder, oils or heavy starches. You are working with just chicken, and your favorite sauce and coming away with a healthy – delicious snack. These chicken wings will almost seem like they were in fact deep fried – but without all the bad stuff to go with it!
Being from Buffalo, the home of Buffalo chicken wings, I’m not about to give up one of my favorite foods. That’s the great thing about Weight Watchers – you don’t have to. The Air Fryer Buffalo style skinny chicken wings recipe is only 6 smart points per 4 oz serving, which is about 5 chicken wings.
Of course if you want to add blue cheese, you will have to add those points in as well.
I only had regular blue cheese dressing which I counted as 2 smart points per 1 tablespoon. That was plenty for the 5 chicken wings I had.
When I had my snack bar in Florida, I served Buffalo Chicken Wings all the time and the people loved them. And remember that you can make them as hot or mild as you’d like. I like mine mild and my husband likes them as hot as can be.
5 chicken wings might not sound like a lot, but served with a side salad or some celery and carrots – you will be more full than you think.
Crispy Buffalo Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
We are pretty sure if you server these to your friends and family, they will never realize they were not made in a deep fryer!
- 1 lb. chicken wings (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Fat Free Blue Cheese (optional)
1. Preheat air fryer for 3-5 minutes on 380°.
2. Place chicken wings in a single layer in air fryer.
3. Air fry for 12 minutes on 380°.
4. Flip wings over with tongs and air fry for another 12 minutes.
5. You can add your sauce at this point if you would like – just add in your sauce and blend well with the chicken (I opted to add my sauce after cooking the wings to keep my air fryer clean – others like to add it during to get the crispiness of the flavors on the skin!)
5. Turn the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for about 5 more minutes.
6. If you did not add the sauce during cooking – then place the wings in a bowl and add your sauce and toss or shake until all the wings are covered.
7. Serve with celery and blue cheese (optional).
Recipe as shown makes (4) – 4 oz. servings. By increasing the temperature for the last few minutes of cooking you are helping the wings get that little bit of extra crispy goodness that everyone loves!
Weight Watchers information
The air fryer will minimize the fat and calories from standard chicken wings – the below are estimates for Smart Points based on the Weight Watchers app.
- 4 ounces of chicken (estimate of 5 chicken wings) with no skin is 4 Smart Points
- 4 ounces of chicken (estimate of 5 chicken wings) with skin is 8 Smart Points
One recommendation to make them even better is to steam the wings for about 10 minutes before air frying which is said to remove even more of the fat! I have not tried that yet, but will the next time I make them.
- 1 lb. Chicken Wings (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- Fat Free Blue Cheese (optional)
- Preheat air fryer for 3-5 minutes on 380°.
- Place chicken wings in a single layer in air fryer.
- Air fry for 12 minutes on 380°.
- Flip wings and air fry for another 12 minutes.
- You can add your sauce now, or at the end of your cooking.
- After the 12 minutes is done - turn the temperature up to 400° and cook for 5 more minutes
- Be sure the internal temperature of the wings are 165° before removing
- If you did not add your sauce during the cooking, then place in bowl and add your preferred sauce and shake or toss until wings are covered.
Serve with celery and blue cheese (optional) and try various sauces for different flavors and spice levels.
Can you use frozen chicken wings?
Absolutely! If you happen to have frozen chicken wings on hand you can use those in your air fryer with no problems at all and they will come out with the same crispy outside and moist inside as fresh chicken wings.
- Place your frozen wings in your air fryer basket (if you feel you need to you can run them under water for a few minutes to loosen them if they are stuck together – but this is not necessary)
- Set your air fryer for 380 degrees – cook for 12 minutes
- Turn the wings and then cook for 12 more minutes
- Turn the temperature up to 400 degrees
- Toss in your preferred wing or barbecue sauce and cook for 6 minutes
If you would rather not put the sauce in the air fryer to avoid a mess – then cook for 15 minutes, then turn the wings and cook for 15 more minutes. Then when you remove them you can dip them in a warm sauce or place them in a bowl and mix them with your favorite warm sauce!
Chicken wing options
From a light snack to a meal – chicken wings are one of these awesome foods that you can mix and match to be so many things! While this recipe is focused on creating a slightly spicy buffalo style taste – this is definitely a great time to explore options!
Use different sauces to make it your own, like we did with our Apricot Air Fryer Chicken Wings that were absolutely delicious. Try different barbecue or buffalo sauces or even your own creative blend of things like worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and more to make your own perfect sauce chicken wing blend! Dress them up with some Blue Cheese and celery and you have a light snack.
Add some carrots, air fryer potatoes, onion rings or even a salad for a healthy light meal. The options are endless!