When we were building our home 5 years ago, it was the first home we ever built. No one gave us any home building tips or had any real suggestions or advice to offer. Needless to say, there were a few things that we didn’t even think of during the process!
But after we moved in there were things we wish we had done during the home building process to make our lives a littler easier! While some of these may not be needed by all people building a home, I thought it would be helpful to share so you can have other ideas and to help you think outside the box if you are building a home.
A few of the things we could add in the future and we will, but others it is a bit to late to tackle.
Home Building Tips: 5 Things Not to Forget!
1. A Shower Bench! Most people would probably say that isn’t something that is really needed. I on the other hand need somewhere to either sit or place my leg so that I can shave comfortably. I also need somewhere to sit in order to wash my feet because of my bad legs. It’s hard for me to pick up my foot and balance on the other. So if you have an elderly parent, someone with disabilities – or even just want some extra comfort while showering, a shower bench is a great add-on that should be done during the initial build.
2. A Plug in the Living Room Floor! I never placed my furniture in the middle of the floor before. My furniture was always placed against the wall, and there are always plugs on the wall. So, we couldn’t have a lamp on our end table by the couch because someone was sure to trip over the wire if we plugged it into the wall.
3. Outside Christmas Outlets! We had one outlet installed in our soffit towards the front of the house. Who knew that 4 would have made life so much easier during the holidays. I love to hang Christmas lights and even though it took a lot more work to figure out where to plug each strand of lights in, we did make it work.
4. A light switch inside the garage! Okay, this sounds like a no brainer to have a light switch to turn your outside garage lights on and off right inside your garage. However, when you are doing an electrical walk through while your house is being built and they say to you “do you want your outside garage light switch by the front door, next to your outside front door light” you automatically say okay! So, whenever we wanted to turn the lights on outside of the garage door, we had to go inside by the front door and turn them on.
5. A Linen Closet in the Master Bath! I’ve lived in plenty of houses without a linen closet in the bathroom, but when you are building, you aren’t thinking about where you going to put all your towels. Why the master bath had no linen closet is beyond me, maybe because we had two huge master closets in the bathroom and they thought we had plenty of room to put our towels…who knows. The fact was that I had to walk all the way to other side of house to the guest bathroom linen closet to get clean sheets or towels. PITA
6. BONUS Home Building Tip! When putting in a pool, get a spa too. Everyone told us not to get a spa because they had one and never used it. So, we didn’t get a spa just the pool. BIG mistake! It would have only cost us about $3,000 more at the time the time we put the pool in. Once we decided that we wanted one down the road…we were getting quotes in the range of $25,000 to add it on! Get it right from the get go even if you think you don’t want it!
There you have it. At least I will know these things when we build our next home. Have you ever forgotten something when building a home?