What is Walmart Savings Catcher?
Walmart is one of he top retailers in the world due to the large amount of available products that they offer at such great prices. They also have a way of helping you save even more money with their Savings Catcher program.
Savings Catcher is an app that allows you the ability to submit your Walmart receipts – then the app checks if any products you purchased were available somewhere else at a lower price.
If the price of a product was found to be lower elsewhere, Walmart will give you the difference that will be added to an eGift Cart.
I used to be really big into shopping with coupons – which over the years years has faded since it is so time consuming. Thankfully, you don’t have to do that anymore with smartphone apps that save money for you like the Walmart Savings Catcher app.
Signing Up With Walmart Savings Catcher
The Walmart Savings Catcher program was a bit different in the past, but in October of 2018 it underwent a big change and below we are outlining the details on how to get started with the program.
- Download the Walmart app on your phone – it is available on both Android or Apple. Our screenshots below are from my Android phone.
- One you download the app, open the menu and select the Walmart Pay menu item
- The next screen will either allow you to login with an existing Walmart account – or you can create a new one.
- Once you login you will be offered the option to add a credit/debit card, gift card or Chase Pay. I opted to add my credit card, once I entered it I was given the same options as before so I can add another card or Chase Pay to my account if I wanted. The next screen offers an option to add another gift card as well.
- Once the above is done you will be asked to accept the terms and conditions – and then you are done!
Using Walmart Savings Catcher At The Store
Head on over to your local Walmart when you are ready and get shopping! Once you are done you will do the following.
- Head on over to checkout
- Tally up all your goods and get your grand total
- Open Walmart Pay in your Walmart App
- Enter your verification method (PIN, Touch ID or Face ID)
- Scan the QR code on the PIN page with your phone and from there your payment can be made – by default Walmart Pay will use any eGift cards for payment first then they will bill the rest to your default payment methods
- You will then receive an eReceipt
- From your confirmation page for your order you can tap the “Submit Receipt” button that will send your receipt to the Savings Catcher part of the program, you can also submit your receipt at a later time from your Savings Catcher dashboard within the Walmart app
So basically – say you buy a box of Cheerios at Walmart for $3.99, but your local Target is selling it for $2.99 on special – Walmart will add $1.00 for your eGift Card.
Important Program Terms To Remember
- eReceipts must be submitted to the Savings Catcher within 7 calendar days
- Savings Catcher eGift Cards can be redeemed in-store, via your Walmart Pay app or online at Walmart.com
- Prices are compared by using your purchased items with advertised prices in your area – ads must be valid at the time you made your purchase
- Any lower prices that were found will be added to your Savings Catcher eGift Card within about a week
- Walmart grocery and pickup services are not eligible for Savings Catcher
- Not all stores are eligible for the program so you may want to reach out to Walmart to confirm if your local store takes part – you will know a store is not in it if you checkout and get your e-receipt but no submit to Savings Catcher option is available
- Up to 7 receipts per week can be submitted
Not All Products Are Included In The Savings Catcher Program
While there are a large amount of products available in the program, there is a lot that are not included. Typical products that are applicable include standard grocery items like chips, cereals, paper towels as well as health and beauty items.
Some of the items that do not qualify include:
- Bakery items
- Weighted meat
- Deli items
- Office supplies
- Home decor
- Branded products
You can get more information about specifics on this on their FAQ page.
Other Awesome Things The Walmart app Does
OK – so maybe you have tried the APP and have not had much luck getting any rewards. There is still so much more the Walmart app is good for including the following:
- Walmart weekly sales advertisement
- Refill your prescriptions
- Shopping lists
My Final Thoughts – Is It Worth It?
I must have been living under rock because I just learned of the Walmart Savings Catcher app and wondered how I went without it for so long.
I have only just started using it and have already saved over $32.64 with just 4 trips to Walmart at the time of writing this post. Originally I was skeptical because I am not one who really likes keeping my credit card number in an app, but because I do shop at Walmart enough I figured it may be worth trying.
There was a lot of disappointment in October when they updated the Savings Catcher to only be app based. It used to be that people could scan in receipts which a lot of people seemed to like, but I am sure was much more work for the Walmart team to manage.
So, while I personally will continue using it – because it is no extra work other than pushing a button and it saves me the time of looking for deals – it is not going to be a huge way to get extra money.
Even if I am averaging about $8.00 of rewards per trip, it is more than worth it to me – because every cent matters! So to me — it is absolutely worth it!