You know how toddlers are learning to eat and do things but make a mess — yeah we have all been there and seen that. But we always were close by to hand out those bibs to keep them neat and clean! Well now there are even adult sized bibs for the older folks who may be a bit messy these days. If you have a husband like mine, you are familiar with the “wearing” of every meal – while he will not admit he needs an adult bib, he does!
Below are some great bibs for adults I have found that are good for everything from a gag gift (ahem, husband’s next birthday) – to your mom or dad who may be getting on in years and may be losing some motor skills.
What Can Adult Bibs Be Used For?
You may be surprised at how many people actually use these bibs and for what they may use them for! They are not just for those messy eaters – and can be useful for so many things. Here are just a few of the many ways you can use a bib to keep your clothing clean and like new!
- Holding a baby
- Eating and driving (although we do not condone eating and driving – it can be messy when you do!)
Our Favorite Fun Adult Bibs
Classy Pals hands down has some of our favorite adult bibs!
When a bib does not look like a bib – it makes people happy! This bib hits it out of the park with their unique and fun designs.
They made their designs fun and classy so it does not even feel like you are wearing a bib. Both of these bibs feature a polyester front with a waterproof inner lining on the back to keep spills from leaking through. The reviews on the bibs are amazing as well – so you are in good company by going with the brand.
- Velcro closure at the top will close at the back of the neck
- Waterproof lining helps with liquids
- 2.25″ of velcro to offer some room for length adjustment as well
- Measure 18″ x 35″ which gives a generous amount of coverage for just about everyone
- Accent that allows you to snap the base of the bib up to create as mall pocket that is perfect for tissues or other small items — and can even catch crumbs.
For the men there are adult bibs that will make their manliness shine through wit the look of fancy attire that makes them ballroom ready. From a simple black pocket shirt design to the bowtie and tuxedo – these designs will definitely make the men in your life feel better about wearing a bib and may even bring some smiles to those around them.
The ladies will look so sophisticated in this beautiful adult bib that features embroidery to give it a more elegant look. Their designs include a cross on a chain and a string of pearls with an accent broach! The 2 pack of bibs is available in a few different combinations for you to choose from.
Two of our favorite Classy Bibs are shown below – as you can see you can purchase them on Amazon!
Our Favorite Most Affordable Adult Bibs
If cost is a factor more than looks then this is our top pick for an affordable adult bib. The Deluxe terry cloth bib by Bella Kline Design. These are the most simple of adult bibs, but have excellent reviews and work extremely well to protect clothing from spills.
For under $15.00 you get a 3 pack of bibs for adults that are soft, easy to care for and are extremely comfortable to wear.
- 100% cotton terry
- Measures 18″ x 30″
- Blue in color
- Machine wash & dry
- Velcro neck closure
Not Recommended For:
- Liquids! There is no backing or liner to prevent leak throughs from liquids.
While these are not the thickest material you can get – they seem to do the job for what most people need. They also have no liner or backing so they will not protect that well from liquids leaking through so that is something to think about!
Cravaat Style Bib
Just for the ladies who really care about fashion there is the cravaat style bib that we had to mention! When we found these we were so happy that the brand, DinerWear, really kind of showed that just because you are a little messy when you eat or do activities – that does not mean you should sacrifice style.
- Stain resistant
- Machine washable
- Wrinkle resistant
- 100% polyester suede like microfiber
- 14″ x 26″
The great thing about this bib is the way it lays like a regular scarf – so instead of it looking like a bib, it looks like the latest fashion trend. Especially with their fun 6 way print that we are showcasing here. There are a few other colors available as well – but we are funs of this one! The material it is made with also does a good job of repelling smaller amounts of liquids and will absorb bigger spills.
You can wear it draped over your shoulders or even tie it around your neck! Definitely a top pick adult bib for the ladies.
Adult Bibs Buyers Guide
Below are some things to think about before deciding to purchase an adult bib to ensure you get the right type for the person who needs.
The general size industry wide for an adult bib is 18” x 30”, but many manufacturers offer other sizes as well. We recommend a longer wider option for those that need it the most to ensure food and splatter stays on the bib.
Pricing seems to be widely varied on the bibs we reviewed – but the quality is very different as well. We are only profiling those that seemed to have the best ability to keep people clean and that had great reviews. Generally speaking you can expect to pay anywhere from $10-$30 for a decent quality bib.
There are so many options in regards to materials being used in adult bibs. We are outlining the most common options and the good and bad for some of them so you can decide what may work best for your unique needs.
- 100% Cotton Terry Cloth – This is the one most people opt for since it is usually a cheaper option. But they do not last as long as some of the other materials and often shrink, so this is not the best option for those that have super messy adults.
- Polyester Cotton Blend – A good solid option that is still affordable, won’t shrink and holds up to multiple washings.
- Waterproof Backing– This is a great option to really prevent liquids from seeping through. These bibs may use 100% cotton or a cotton polyester blend but have a barrier sewn into the back to prevent soak through. Just make sure you find one that is machine washable as some are not and can cause issues with the barrier material.
- 100% Polyester – Definitely a longer lasting option that is easy to clean and is durable. The downside is that spilled items can slide on it a little easier meaning more chances for stuff to wind up on the floor.
- Vinyl – Probably the most popular option since it is easy to wipe down and can be easily washed in a sink. It also does a great job of preventing leak throughs.
- Flannel – One of the nicer options that is more clothing like than bib like and is perfect for those who prefer to have something with a touch of style. The flannel bibs we have seen most commonly do have a backing to prevent leak through.
VELCRO® Closure – Highly recommended for those with limited mobility since all they need to do is stick the 2 pieces of Velcro together. Repeated washings will diminish the hooks over time which means it will not work as well after repeated washings.
Snaps – Snaps offer longevity as they will not be damaged by wash or multiple uses. The downside is many may not be able to do the snaps on their own and will need assistance in getting the bib on.
Self-Tie – The least popular adult bib because of the difficulty in tying due to mobility issues – but a great option if a nurses aide or family is on hand to help. These bibs have 2 strings on either side of the bib that will be tied behind the neck.
- Layover – Some of the newer styles feature a simple “layover” type bib that will be placed over the head and lie on the shoulders to cover all of the front and a small portion of the back. This is a great option for those with dexterity issues.